Friday, February 17, 2017

Vegan Creamy Tomato Bisque

Tomato goodness! This is the kind of soup that you can truly savor sip by sip and be mindful of the textures and flavors. I was craving a thick...and creamy... tomato bisque and wanted to try something with adding white beans and cauliflower to make it creamy instead of the thick cream. To my surprise, I loved it and it was actually a quick cooking time meal as well. But shhh.... don't get my kids there is 'beans' in this soup. They are so well hidden no one would ever know ;)
This soup is made with mostly pantry items and a few fresh ingredients so hopefully can be made more on a whim when you are feeling the craving for a good, satisfying soup. I did that a few days ago with this one and have been enjoying 'living on a whim' of tomato bisque ever since. I love being surprised again and again by a few ingredients that make something so wonderful and nourishing. Simple in the kitchen always brings be so much joy! And now I can share the love and joy with you too...
I have memories of canned tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches. A great American classic combo. But I think I mostly remember a cafe I used to frequent in college that made a weekly tomato bisque that got me through the days of coffee-shop studying when I would 'forget' to eat for hours. So I think this kind of soup brings up the kinds of love and emotion that makes me feel cared for and nourished. Another great thing I love to share :)
Vegan Creamy Tomato Bisque Recipe
{gluten, dairy, nut, seed, egg-free, and vegan}

1/2 cup of chopped sweet onions
1/2 cup of chopped celery
1 heaping cup of chopped raw cauliflower
1 TB of grated fresh garlic (or 1 ts of dried powder) 
3 TB of avocado or olive oil
1/2 cup of a mix of fresh chopped Italian herbs (oregano, thyme, basil, marjoram, rosemary)
 (or you can use 1/2-1TB of dried Italian herb blend)
28 ounces of organic fire roasted canned crushed tomatoes (I used Muir Glen)
15 ounces of cooked canned navy or white beans
2 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
1 cup of non-dairy-milk beverage (I used coconut milk beverage)
2 TB of coconut palm sugar
1/2-1 ts of sprinkled sea salt
squeeze of fresh lemon

In a medium pot, saute the chopped onion, celery, cauliflower and garlic in 3 TB of avocado or olive oil. Saute until soft and then pour in the canned crushed tomatoes, broth, and the rest of the ingredients. Let it all come to a boil and cook for 15 or so minutes on medium heat. Then you can carefully pour all the ingredients in a high powered blender- OR use an immersion blender right in the same pot, which is what I used... to blend up all of the contents of the soup. Everything should be cooked so soft that it will easily blend and cream up. It will become a thick and creamy soup that is ready to serve.

Serve with homemade bread or crackers, or even if you desire grilled cheese sandwiches or a alternative sandwich. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh basil or thyme to make it fresh and fancy. 
I hope you are finding way to make living the gluten-free or more allergy-free life easier. It is recipes like this that keep me inspired to keep it simple and enjoy the small things in the kitchen that create  so much love and nourishment. Don't give up on the journey. Keep going!

Much love as always, xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment